Thursday, August 30, 2012

Amusing Ourselves to Death

     We touched on this a little in class but I agree with Huxley in the way that what we love is killing us. It's possible to have too much of a good thing. People love social media and technology so now people are addicted to it. It seems that it is easier to contact people through twitter, Facebook, or texting rather than calling them on the phone or having an actual conversation face to face with someone. We are too busy or it’s just easy to leave them a message and they can respond when they get a chance to rather than just playing phone tag constantly. Sometimes social media is great with keeping in touch with family or friends that live far away, but sometimes it can just be an absolute pain. Most of the time it’s just easier to talk to someone rather than texting them; texting can often be misinterpreted and conflicts can arise from silly unintentional things.
     The author used a web comic for a distinct reason, to relay his argument in a different manner. He had the option to just write it out in paragraph format, but using pictures and in a comic strip form can be more appealing to a different audience. He can then get his argument across to a wider range of viewers. It's nice to have pictures to help relay his ideas more, it gives the reader a visual to help understand his point of view. 
     When I watch the video, "The Bystander Effect", it’s shocking seeing all those people just leave someone out on the street and I think how they could just leave them in pain, but if I was in their shoes, it’s hard to say whether I would stop or not. It's easy to just think that someone else will stop, being on such a busy street. But after seeing this video and noticing that no one does... it makes me reconsider things if I were to see someone hurt and helpless.

1 comment:

  1. You're completely right about having too much of a good thing. I wonder how I would have turned out differently if I didn't always have my phone by my side to avert myself from awkward situations. I think I would definitely have benefitted without texting.

    ReplyDelete