Thursday, December 13, 2012

WRD Documentary



             





   Reflection Essay: I chose to do my documentary on twitter and how people get their news through twitter because I have a personal connection. I have realized now that I’m in college I don’t have time to sit down and watch the news regularly. I tend to get on twitter anyway so looking through my twitter-feed everyone tweets about news that is going around all over the world. Through the many different people I follow, I still will be clued into the world just through twitter and everyone talking about what’s going on all around us. I also follow random different things and people that tend to post about all the latest events. Also being that I go to UK and basketball is such a huge thing, whenever there is a UK game on and you get on twitter that is all you will ever see when scrolling through you twitter-feed.
 The argument I was making was that most college and high school students spend quite a bit of time on twitter and while looking through their news feed they can get national news from all over, for example recently, as you can see in my video, they talk about how they found out who won the presidential election and also all kind of info with Hurricane Sandy. In my documentary I talked to five different people and asked them “What do you use twitter for?” and “How do you stay up-to-date with the news?”  For the most part they all answer that they use twitter to stay in touch with friends and keep up with people from back home.  Also they said that most of the people that they follow tweet about current events that are happening in the world, and that is how they stay up-to-date with news.
If I did have another month to work on my documentary I could further improve the quality of my project. I found it was difficult to find people willing to be interviewed and videotaped and also willing to care enough to give quality answers. If I had more time I would be able to find more people and they would be able to give their opinion on how they stay connected to the news through twitter. Some problems that came about were because  I’m not too tech savvy with some of the movie programs, so trying to perfect sound and videotaping qualities were somewhat challenging . When taping people, the interviewees talked at different levels so making them all sound the same was a bit challenging; Also finding music that would work well with the music was another challenging aspect.
 Overall I’m pretty happy with the overall product of my final video, I think in the time I had and the small obstacles I faced, with trying to get willing interviewees and dealing with technical difficulties, I created a solid documentary. I also really enjoyed this project, it allowed me to expand on something that affected and interested me. I enjoyed using modern technology and social media to transform my interests into a documentary.

No comments:

Post a Comment